ANNOUNCE: GDM 2.2.4.3, the "Seeeeekret" release

WINGLINDONGUNDUS

Those enterprising souls who don't trust me to make announcements when
I release something might have noticed that there is gdm 2.2.4.3 on
the ftp sites.  The silence was intention, that is, there was a very
good reason for no announcement:  I was lazy.

This release is mostly small fixes that got reported after 2.2.4.3.  Talking
of that there is already a fair number of fixes in the CVS tree for bugs
reported after 2.2.4.3.  Delaying the release announcement has the
unfortunate effect of knowing that the release was not perfect :)  Well,
in any case, there are no major problems that would merit a new release
right away, so don't expect one for a few more weeks or so.  At some
point I'd like to branch gdm and port it to GNOME2.  That will happen soon
I hope.

And now for the standard part of the release announcement:

Ahh, so you have no clue what gdm is?  Well if you've read this far ... let's
not get into that.  Gdm is GNOME Display Manager, the little daemon that lets
you log in to your computer.  It allows xdmcp multiple login displays,
selection of languages, multiple login sessions and generally is much cooler
then any xdm clone out there, mostly cuz it isn't an xdm clone to begin with.
I mean heck, it's even got a graphical configurator, so you don't have to use
the command line to hose your system anymore.

News:
=====

Highlights of 2.2.4.3:

- Use PAM_ESTABILISH_CRED for pam_setcred

- Parsed login names are now reparsed every time

- Minor fixes and greater paranoia all over the place

- XDMCP timeouts default to 15 instead of 30 seconds

- Autoconf 2.50 / Automake 1.5 compatibility (Ali Akcaagac)

- Translations updated (Zbigniew Chyla, Kjartan Maraas, Ole Laursen,
  Fatih Demir, me, Stanislav Visnovsky, Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira)

Note:  Gdm2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>, and
is now maintained by the Queen of England.  Although when she's not answering
her email, me or Lee Mellabone usually cover for her.

Note2:  If installing from the tarball do note that make install overwrites
most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf and gnomerc.  It will however save
backups with the .orig extention first.

Note3:  Distributors, packagers.  Please, PLEASE use the standard Gnome script
when setting things up as gnome, or at least equivalently working scripts.  It
should never be OK to just exec gnome-session, that is considered bad form.
The script needs to read (if available) the ~/.gnomerc and otherwise read
the <sysconfdir>/gdm/gnomerc file.  This allows users and administrators to
setup custom startup for gnome.  Another thing is that if your distro
doesn't have gnome-core 1.4.0.3 or later you should probably disable the Gnome
Chooser stuff until that happens (you should update gnome-core anyway).  Third
thing is make sure to set up the X servers to run on the correct virtual
terminals if you start the gdm process before the other login thingies.  See
the end of the gdm.conf sample file.

Downloading:
============

ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/sources/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/i386/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/alpha/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/SRPMS/gdm/

Have fun,

George

PS:  If any of you have missed this, I have been The Dictator of The World
for about 3 years or so now.  Now I've just realized that the whole recent
hooplah with terrorists, bombing, sending anthrax and police/army acting very
silly is against my direct order.  So I'd like to reiterate this: STOP IT!
I'm getting annoyed, and you don't want to get The Dictator of The World
annoyed.  If this goes any further I'm gonna prohibit wars and violence, and
we wouldn't want that, would we.

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely