gBib - An interactive BibTeX database manager

gBib - An interactive BibTeX database manager

Code written by Alejandro Aguilar Sierra <asierra@servidor.unam.mx>
under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence version 2 or later.

Homepage: http://www.mx.lyx.org/gbib/

This program is a friendly editor and browser for BibTeX bibliographic
databases. You can use it also to insert citations inside a LyX
(http://www.lyx.org/) document.

Initially I wrote this program in a rush. I had to write a paper and the
old tools I used to manage bibtex databases didn't work any more in my
system, so I decided that it was time to write my first gnome application.
This release (0.0.4) is still ALPHA but it's much more usable and reliable
than the later public relase, which honestly was very buggy.

To insert citations in a LyX document, verify that LyX is running before to
click on the lyx button. The LyX server must be enabled, just add in your
lyxrc this line:

         \serverpipe "/YOUR_HOME_DIR/.lyxpipe"

Requirements to compile this program:

* C++ and STL

* The development libraries of Gnome (>=1.0) and GTK+ (>=1.2).

To install it just type

        make install

New in 0.0.4:
------------

* Fixed a lot of bugs. I tested it with several databases, including
  the example files from the bibtex distribution, without any problem.

* Now it's possible to edit @PREAMBLE, @STRING, @COMMENT and whatever,
  with a text widget.

* It's much more gnome clean, not yet perfect.

* Guile is not used anymore, thought the rc file (gbib.rc) still uses
  scheme syntax.

New in 0.0.2:
------------

* Fixed a stupid bug to allow reading fields delimited with quotes. Now
  gbibtex is able to read files with the fields delimited by either quotes
  or braces.

* It's possible to select the type of delimiters to write for the entry
  fields, either quotes or braces.

* New scheme function to define the styles available in your system
  (see stdbib.scm).

* It's possible to select the bibtex style you want to use in your document.
  This is in the options menu, perhaps will be moved to the lyx dialog.

* Before to save automatically add the suffix .bak to the original db.

Get the source from ftp://modelos1.atmosfcu.unam.mx/pub/gbib.tgz.
Comments and patches to asierra@servidor.unam.mx.