lost speech

I seem to have lost all speech.
My laptop wasn't shut down last night so when I opened it it was in sleep mode.
I pressed a few keys and now when I loggin I seem to get no speech.
Whether I have somehow disabled speech or lost Gnopernicus altogether I don't know. When I loggin, I hear the drive as if it is trying to load Gnopernicus, then it goes quiet, then it gets loud again and then it goes quiet and this action repeats like it is waking up and going to sleep. Could someone give me the shortcut keys for starting Gnopernicus manually so I may be able to find out if the problem has anything to do with my trouble when shutting down my laptop? as it had been left in sleep mode, I ended up pressing the on-off switch and holding it just to switch it off before I began to find that there was a problem. I thought I had turned down my sound and that I wouldn't get speech but I am definately hearing the default sounds in Dapper, first the drums before I am asked for my username and password which I know are not spoken and then the default music when I have done a successful loggin.