Re: Current voice options and ALSA compatibility

On Friday 10 March 2006 10:00, Nolan Darilek wrote:
> Once again it's time for me to pop out of nowhere and ask a few
> random GNOME accessibility questions. :)
>
> I recently bought a new PC that doesn't have serial ports. As such,
> I'm exclusively using softsynths. I suspect, however, that festival/
> flite doesn't play well with ALSA/ESD. Whenever Orca/Gnopernicus is
> running, no other sounds can play.

I'm not a GNOME a11y user, but I suspect that this is not a problem with
GNOME, gnopernicus, orca, Festival, or flite.  Its a problem with ALSA.  You
should make sure you have an up-to-date version of ALSA.  There were dmix
issues in older versions which have been fixed in recent versions.  Make sure
GNOME, gnopernicus, and orca are using "Default" ALSA devices, which, if ALSA
is properly configured, should use dmx.

If GNOME, gnopernicus, and orca cannot be configured to use ALSA, ignore what
I said above.

As a last resort, take a look at my blog here:

http://phantomsdad.blogspot.com/

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer