debian and gnopernicus

So far earlier today I had a non-graphical system as a base line. After having done aptitude update and aptitude upgrade and installing all upgrades I decided to try installing xserver-xorg and gnopernicus to see if they'll play nicely together. So, aptitude install xserver-xorg --with-recommends then aptitude install gnopernicus --with-recommends got me a few megs worth of files installed. Upon rebooting I noticed speakup still comes up and whatever x environment may or may not be functional on this system did not attempt to start and fail. Much nicer than installing debian desktop from tasksel. Some other notes I chose isa:1 for monitor type and told the system to talk to the monitor for further information and not use the frame buffer to get its information. This is a pretty modern monitor and definitely not an rgb model either. So before I try running startx and then running gnopernicus -s to see if the X environment wants to talk is there anything else I neglected to do? The sound card is functional and plays podcasts fine and I ran alsa-conf and alsactl store against it earlier too. I've heard twm is a disaster and don't know if that is installed or not and can get icewm for this system too if it would work better for this level of accessibility.