Problems compiling At-spi

Hi. I recently obtained Gnome, and am trying to get the latest version of AT-SPI to build. This is because I want to build the Java Access Bridge, and it is not building because it requires at least version 1.7 of AT-SPI, and I have version 1.6.6. This was the version included with Gnome as downloaded from http://gsb.sf.net. Since Slackware 10.2 dropped Gnome, this was the version suggested. In any case, I was able to get Gnopernicus 1.0 to build on it, and things seem to be working to varying degrees. Building the newer 1.7.4 of AT-SPI, however, is failing

First, during the "./configure" process, I am getting the following warnings.

configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xevie.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xevie.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xevie.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xevie.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xevie.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: X11/extensions/Xevie.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists.  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##

I've never encountered this sort of warning before. The header is indeed present, and I can't find any problems with it. Despite the warnings, the configure runs to completion. When I try to run "make," it fails with a bunch of errors about undeclared functions. Usually, when I encounter this, there is an error earlier about a missing header file, but not this time. The errors are below.

accessible.c: In function `spi_init_role_lookup_table':
accessible.c:126: error: `ATK_ROLE_ENTRY' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c:126: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
accessible.c:126: error: for each function it appears in.)
accessible.c:127: error: `ATK_ROLE_CHART' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c:128: error: `ATK_ROLE_CAPTION' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c:129: error: `ATK_ROLE_DOCUMENT_FRAME' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c:130: error: `ATK_ROLE_HEADING' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c:131: error: `ATK_ROLE_PAGE' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c:132: error: `ATK_ROLE_SECTION' undeclared (first use in this function)
accessible.c: In function `impl_accessibility_accessible_get_attributes':
accessible.c:458: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[3]: *** [accessible.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

The version of Gnome I am using is 2.12.1. Gnome-speech is 0.3.9, and Gnopernicus is version 1.0, compiled from source to enable Brltty support. The X11 system is Xorg version 6.8.2. Any suggestions as to what I should try next? Thanks.