lessons learned

1) Ubuntu 6.06 accessible edition cannot partition and format as many hard drives as can debian and slackware. Maybe the partitioner and formatter are 3rd party binaries and those vendors failed to have this particular hard drive set able to be used.
2) On no account use an ati video card of any flavor and matching monitor
   on a system you would like to have an easily installed and operating X
   environment for accessibility.  Neither debian nor slackware can handle
   this situation well.  I got the ati rage card and monitor after I
   stopped using fedora core 3 and I was using fedora core 3 with a
   trident video card and monitor.  I suspect this single hardware change
   likely will clear up most if not all installation problems on this end.