Getting debian's gnopernicus to talk and java access bridge to compile

Hi All

Well I'm jtrying to get my debian sid system talking but seem to run into a few problems.

Firstly, I cannot trace where the problem is because I don't know how to run test-speech as suggested on the orca troubleshooting link proffered a few postings ago.

What I do know is:

When I startx, no sound occures at all, although my partner confirmed that the sound server and events are enabled.  Also the volume controls appear to be close to maximum.

I've looked in /usr/share/doc/gnopernicus and /usr/share/doc/libgnome-speech3 for a hit of how to run 'test-speech' but nothing.

A 'apt-cache show gnome' suggests that the gnome version is 2.12.3.

When I try to compile the 'java access bridge 1.5.0' from source tarball and cvs I get the following:

"make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/java-access-bridge-1.5.0/idlgen/org/GNOME/Accessibility'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java-access-bridge-1.5.0/idlgen/org/GNOME/Accessibility'
touch ../jar-stamp
jar cf ../gnome-java-bridge.jar org/GNOME/Bonobo/*.class org/GNOME/Accessibility/*.class
org/GNOME/Bonobo/*.class : no such file or directory
org/GNOME/Accessibility/*.class : no such file or directory
make[2]: *** [../gnome-java-bridge.jar] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java-access-bridge-1.5.0/idlgen'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/java-access-bridge-1.5.0/idlgen'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1"

It appears to me it's looking for .class files in it's own build tree which are not there.  What's going on?  Would it help if I specified the gnome path?  How do I find the gnome path?  As 'which gnome' or other variations brings up nothing.

Can someone help?

Gena
--
2E0AXU

Blindness Advocacy Self Help (BASH Online)
bashonline-subscribe yahoogroups com

Freedom & Power provided by debian GNU Linux