Gnopernicus + esd

I recently set up a fresh Ubuntu Breezy box with OO, Sun Mozilla Gnopernicus
etc and it mostly seems to work well.  The problem is that everyone else in
the office is using a thin desktop setup similar to LTSP and I'd like to
give this user that option as well.  All the normal system sounds and even
the KDE Speech stuff seems to work OK with esd but Gnopernicus insists on
sending sound directly through /dev/dsp.  It looks like I need to either
find a way to get Gnome speech  to launch festival as "esddsp festival" or
teach it to use a different speech backend.  Any advice?

--
Ray