Re: firefox working thanks, remote magnifier?

Hey Bill,

The "GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY" environment variable has been deprecated for years, so there's still possibly some mystery in your setup. Are you sure you had the /gnome/desktop/interface/accessibility gconf key set to "true" ? The latter is the recommended way of enabling assistive technology support for firefox.

Yeah I just confirmed this with another user. We are under Gnome 2.10. Not sure what could cause this. All gnome applications seem to run fine with that key set.

Regarding 'remote connections' and the magnifier, bear in mind that the phrase "remote connection" can mean many things. What I meant was that the magnifier could use a remote X server for its source or target display. However, our bonobo-activation-service mechanism which is used to locate various desktop services in Gnome does NOT work across XDMCP, it only knows about Bonobo services on the local host. While in theory all that is needed is an extension to bonobo-activation-server to search remote hosts, that piece of the puzzle is incomplete.

Interesting.  Hope that piece comes into play one day :).

Going back to the business of using a "remote x server" for the magnifier, your report that it "seems to be magnifying" but with an empty magnified region, suggests that possibly the permissions in your Xserver aren't allowing the magnifier to connect. Make sure the remote client is in the list of approved clients using the 'xhost' command. As a quick check you can run 'xhost +' on the remote machine (this turns off X access control); however you shouldn't leave that totally open for long, it might just be quicker than checking the xhost man page to get the detailed command syntax you need.

I tried this again as this was my first guess also when reading that "clients" were being rejected. I must have forgot to update gnopernicus after making this change of course. This time I restarted gnopernicus and of course the magnification worked :) Oh well at least it is on the archives.

In any case, when using the magnification service with remote displays, you'll get much more efficient results if the target display is local to the magnification program. Running gnome-mag on a remote server, and displaying to a local screen, will have poor performance because all the pixel pushing to your local screen will have to go over the network.

Is there a way to use the Xvfb and X session together on the client? I am still trying to understand how X is interpretting all of this. in AIX we accomplish full screen magnification by invoking the vfb and X on screen 0.0 and 1.0 with a simple -sme flag while starting a session. I have not found an equivelant in Linux, or how to accomplish full screen magnification under a remote client.

regards

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Jason

(Jason wrote:)

Thanks Peter/Bill for the Firefox help. All that was required was exporting the environmental variable GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1. I had not come across this before.

Bill (and anyone else who has achieved this) you mentioned in an earlier post you have gotten the magnifier to work with remote connections, could you provide details? I currently have a remote connection via XDMCP on client:1.0

when I change the source to client:1.0 and target to client:1.0 gnopernicus accepts the values (does not beep and revert as if I put a bogus value in). However running gnopernicus from the menu produces "Magnifier initialization failed
Possible causes are 1) You don't have gnome-mag installed
2) GNOME_Magnifier.server file is missing

I have just started the magnifier server from the remote machine ON the remote machine and it works fine.

Is there a way to Connect the X display on client:1.0 to say the Xvfb? If i start an Xvfb on client1 (client1:2.0) can I somehow export data to the vfb and provide full screen magnification? I am sure I am pushing the limits here....

running magnifier with -s and -t options with the client's IP:1.0 produces errors about not being able to dispaly, but it does act like it is magnifying. Though nothing is being displayed.

God Bless,

Jason G.
Mathew 11:28-30