Re: [g-a-devel] AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

Bill Haneman, le ven 04 mar 2005 13:45:35 +0000, a dit :
> >- Focus leaving should be reported as well:
>
> There are two aspects of 'focus' here - there is "widget focus", i.e.
> which the individual widget emits, as "focus:" events.  AtkObjects also
> report changes in state, including "state-changed:focus" which changes
> to FALSE when a widget loses keyboard focus.  So the "loss of widget
> focus" is already reported.

Ah, this is not explicitly written in at-spi documentation, I didn't
manage to figure it out.
I would have reported it a similar way as "focus:" events, though...

> There is also the "active toplevel window", which is exposed through
> "window:activate" and "window:deactivate" events.  So when an accessible
> window becomes inactive, at-spi does send notification of this fact (via
> window:deactivate).  So this information is already exposed by at-spi.

Ok, in my case (reading gnome-terminal's terminal widget), that wasn't
sufficient (since other widgets may get the focus).

> At the moment at-spi doesn't emit "window:activate" events for
> "inaccessible" windows.  This could be changed, with a bit of work, but
> it would introduce a dependency on a particular window manager (ie.
> at-spi would require metacity), and I don't think the added value for
> users is worth the added dependency

I *DO* agree :)

Providing deactivate and focus-out is just fine to my mind.

> >- It would also be useful to be able to get widgets' X-window ID to
> >  better handle focus.
>
> I don't see any useful thing that a screenreader on a _modern_ Xwindows
> platform could do with this.

Get the non-accessible application's window title.

And sorry for having cross-posted in -user list:
http://directory.fsf.org/accessibility/at-spi.html
should get corrected somehow about "developer list".

Regards,
Samuel