Re: gnome-speech and the fonix dectalk synthesizer

Here's what I've done to get the gnome-speech driver for DECtalk
working on Fedora Core 3:

  1) DECtalk installs itself into /usr/local.  This means that
     the system library loader needs to search /usr/local/lib
     for shared libraries.  I *thought* Fedora tended to do this
     by default via /etc/ld.so.conf, but I find that I need to
     explicitly set my "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib".

  2) Some usually goes awry with my DECtalk install and I tend
     to create /usr/include/dtk as a symbolic link to the include
     directory that comes with the DECtalk runtime.

  3) I run "./autogen --prefix=/usr".  Dang the torpedos, full
     speed ahead.  :-)

  4) After doing a make and make install, I run
     /usr/bin/dectalk-synthesis-driver by hand to make sure it
     works.  More often than not, I discover libtts.so cannot
     be found because I forgot to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
     update /etc/ld.so.conf.

Can you try running /usr/bin/dectalk-synthesis-driver to see if
it runs (a success means that it just quietly sits there and
doesn't exit).  If it runs, the next thing to try is to keep it
running and then try test-speech from a different window.  If
all that works, then you probably need to tell Fedora to look in
/usr/local/lib for additional shared libraries.

Will