From: Bill Haneman [mailto:Bill Haneman Sun COM]
Sent: 13 July 2005 12:38
To: Darragh
Cc: Gnome-Accessibility-List Gnome  Org
Subject: Re: Soundsworks but Gnopernicus doesn't speak

Hi Darragh:

First, I think you'll need to turn off sound events, because they can
conflict with speech on some systems.

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds false

Then make sure esd is on:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd true

There should be a program called 'test-speech' installed, which you can
use to test the text-to-speech services.  You should have a 'festival'
driver.  If it doesn't seem to be working, make sure you have festival
installed.

regards

Bill