Re: [g-a-devel] Re: Gnopernicus on a Live CD?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:14:50PM EST, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Hi Thomas, Luke:
>
> The licensing issue is a real shame, but I don't know of an easy fix
> either, especially for the 'Live CD'

I think eventually, an alternative VM that gets chosen by the Ubuntu
developers may be the sollution, but I don't know just how far off that
is.

> However, for the regular Ubuntu distribution I do think that it would be
> worthwhile to include the java-access-bridge, and build OpenOffice.org
> to include the accessibility support.  The java-access-bridge code and
> the OO.o accessibility code is LGPL, so the licensing issue would then
> be reduced to that of a 'soft' dependency on a non-free JVM - there
> would be no non-free code bundled.  Ubuntu users would then be able, at
> their sole discretion, to independently download and use the Sun JVM in
> order to complete their OpenOffice accessibility solution.
>
> In the absence of a free alternative, I think this would be a defensible
> approach, and if other agree, it may be worth lobbying for it with
> Debian and/or Ubuntu.  Since I work for Sun and wrote much of the
> java-access-bridge for Gnome, perhaps a less-interested party should do
> the lobbying <smile>.

I can certainly look into things from the Ubuntu side, as at this stage,
I am simply creating accessibility derivitives, and intend to make such
a derivitive come the next release. What you have suggested above is
certainly a fine option that can be looked into.

Luke