Re: Gnopernicus on a Live CD?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:47:40AM EST, thenerd rmisp net wrote:
> Hello.  I just tried your live Ubuntu CD briefly today on my laptop and I
> have a suggestion.  I recommend that Java and the Java Access Bridge be
> put on the CD.  I noticed that Open Office is on the CD, but when I tried
> to run the word processor, I noticed that it wasn't accessible.  If this
> CD came with an accessible version of Open Office with the Java Access
> Bridge, blind people who are new to Linux could quickly try out Open
> Office with Linux.

I would love to do this, but there are some sticky issues surrounding
this at the moment I am affraid. This CD is essencially a derivitive of
an Ubuntu live CD, which in itself is still in the testing phase. To get
better Java support for apps, as well as OpenOffice would require a few
things to be done:

* A Java VM would have to be included on the CD. Trivial, but not quite
possible license wise. See below.
* OpenOffice would have to be rebuilt to include the Java accessibility,
as it currently isn't.

The ubuntu project wants to ensure all the software it makes available
as packages are free as in freedom. Unfortunately the Sun Java VM
doesn't conform to a GPL like license. There are several other VMs and
compilers out there, however they are not quite as powerful as the Sun
VM yet.

The Ubuntu developers are actually in the process of working out what VM
and compiler is best, and if it doesn't make it into the next release
due in April, it will very likely be in the release after, due in
October.

Then there is the necessary building and testing of things like the java
access bridge and Open Office's accessibility support, which will very
likely throw more problems into the mix. So unfortunately, it may be
some time before this is fully resolved.

I would greatly love to include these packages, but I would like my work
to be recognised by the Ubuntu developers and community. Including such
non-free packages may put this in jepedy.

Luke