Magnifier in GNOME

Hi all.

I'm computer and Linux enthusiast.
I decided to test Linux as Desktop OS and installed Fedora Core 3.

My problem is that I far from normal sighted so I need a magnifier to operate the desktop environment. I have been using Linux as server OS for a while now and I access my boxes through SSH from my windoze box using putty. In Windoze I have a great litte utility called Magnifier that I use to enlarge the text and the magnificated area pops up in a magnifier window that also follows the mouse pointer, text editing and it also follows the focus when I write this mail in Mozilla Thunderbird.

The Windows Magnifier that is built into MS Windows XP is also brilliant to use on a 2 screen solution - I then use the right screen as a large magnifer and the left screen for internet browsing, mail reading etc.

Now back to Linux.
I installed linux and as a workstation with GNOME and tried the magnifier but it was no good at all. This was a very huge disappointment because I had hoped that GNOME and Linux could offer a similar magnifer like MS windows that helps me a lot.

I could not even change the magnification level and I find the magnifier strange to the one in Windows XP. But I have heard that the GNOME magnifier is for 2 screen solutions only and on this pc I don't have 2 monitors...

Is there other magnifiers that I could try?
If someone of you are familiar with the magnifier in Windows XP and know of similar magnifiers for Linux I would be very thankful.

regards
Øyvind