Re: Serious Startup problems: Ubuntu 5.10 for AMD64 and Gnopernicus

   Hello Remus,
thanks for your attention.

Do you have the posibility to run gnopernicus with another TTS? Or to
run it only with braille or braille monitor. This way you'll be able to
find if the problem is gnopernicus in general or the speech part.

It is the speech part, see below.

You can try to update gnome-speech package. Also, in order to find out
if speech is problem try the "speech-test" program.

I downloaded gnome-speech 0.3.9, compiled and installed it .

I can reproduce the problem with the test-speech program.
It lets me select the one and only back-end driver (festival).
then it lets me choose male or female voices and when listing the available
voices it even sometimes tries to give speech  feedback of the screen menu.
After one or two seconds the program aborts with a message like:
PROCESS 32245 unable to send buffer.
Memory access fault.

Has anyone ever tested this with the 64 bit AMD architecture?
Is there a specific festival version required?
If I should be the first one to work with this combination under 64 bit
Linux I would go ahead and debug into the code - 32 bit pointer size
assumtion problem?

Best regards and a joyful chrismas
/Roland