gnopernicus gaim and firefox

hello all.
I just formatted with ubuntu and finaly think i got a grip on things. here is my questions

1. This first issue is with gaim I clicked on the system menu then prefs, then assistive technology support and enabled the support of assistive tech and enabled gnopernicus screen reader not magnifier. I even typed

export gtk_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge

and this didn't help with gaim. I even substituted export with gaim like this

gaim gtk_MODULES=gail...and so on, but this launched gaim and gnopernicus did not speak with it. how can I get this to work

2. I open up firefox and I can go to different websites, but when I turn on charott navigatioin, I can move threwout the page somewhat with my arrow keys but not very well. I can't, for example, press control plus home for the top of the page, gnopernicus just seems difficult on webpages, but I can manage on some pages, so where would I find a list of commands or tip for using firefox?

thanx a lot, cody