From: Peter Korn <Peter Korn Sun COM>
To: Cody Hurst <cody_hurst hotmail com>
CC: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
Subject: Re: gnopernicus and free tts
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:04:38 -0800

Hi Cody,

How can I get gnopernicus to workwith free tts without going threw the hastle of installing all this junk for festival? I just need to get it to talk, also, When ever I bring up the run application box, I type in gnopernicus, but I hear no speech, and I see no windows pop up. I see nothing down in my task bar. I run Linux xp. I know it has gnopernicus cause I have seen it on here and brought it up. thanks

Yes, you don't need Festival if you have another TTS engine installed that has a gnome-speech driver. If you have gnome-speech installed, you should have the program 'test-speech'. Use this to get a list of your installed text-to-speech engines. If you don't see it with test-speech, Gnopernicus won't see it either.

gnome-speech comes with drivers for FreeTTS. Once you have FreeTTS installed, you can use the gnome-speech driver for it. Best to install FreeTTS first, then build gnome-speech (and tell it where to find FreeTTS on your system).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibilityt eam