FYI: Re: Localized braille (Was: Gnopernicus and ISO-Latin2 characters)

Hello All,

Just so you know, I have developed a braille translator and
back-translator based on the translator in BRLTtY, which I initially
coded. It is a library called liblouis which uses the same translation
table format as BRLTtY, but has added several opcodes. Though it was
sponsored by a commercial organization, it is Open Source. It handles
UTF-16, according to the sponsor's requirements. For the translator, the
input is a UTF-16 string and the output is a string containing a
localized braille
translation. It does not handle input and output. That is for the
calling program. As I understand it, I don't lose much by using UTF-16,
but I can easily modify the library to use UTF-32. It is much more
efficient to use a fixed-length encoding internally.

Under the same sponsor, I am also extending liblouis to liblouisxml,
specifically to handle MathML, though it will also handle generalized
xml. UTF-8 will be converted to uTF-16 before the braille translator is
called.

I will be interested to hear comments. Dave Mielke should know about my
efforts, since I have contacted him about the course of development
several times.

--
John J. boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.