Re: gtk accessibility on win32

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Peter Korn wrote:

The picture is pretty much as bleak as Marc paints it. But there are two other options to consider:

1. Limit yourself to JAWS and ZoomText (and Virgo), and bridge ATK to
   the Java Accessibility API (basically the reverse of what we're
   doing in the gnome-java-bridge.  Not a small amount of work...

Hmm.  JAWS can communicate with Java OK, then?

2. Port Gnopernicus to Win32, and offer that as the screen reader.
   This might actually be the easiest route...  You might also choose
   to start with Orca instead of Gnopernicus.

Ah, this sounds quite interesting. I have hacked on Gnopernicus a little already. One concern here: if a user already has JAWS running, would JAWS and Gnopernicus end up fighting each other?

3. Make your app self-voicing.  This may actually be the easiest thing
   to do.  Study either Gnopernicus or Orca for this, and have a
   separate process (loaded with GTK_MODULES if that works in Win32)
   that receives the events and speaks them.  This won't be as functional
   as either Gnopernicus or Orca or JAWS, but it may be an option worth
   considering, depending upon your requirements.

And this sounds interesting too, since my app is already partially self-voicing (as I said in my reply to Marc). I would definitely want to tie into atk/gail in some manner, though, to get menus rendered.

Thanks for the useful pointers.

Allin Cottrell.