Re: Accessible Only Desktop Strategy Sought

As GNOME 2.8 is released I thought it useful to suggest an enhancement
for GNOME 2.10 which will certainly follow. First, congrats to all who
worked on accessibility in GNOME. While it is clear there's still a long
way to go for blind (and some other users), it's also clear that much
has been accomplished. I have only to remember how we tore our hair out
over X back in the early 1990's to realize how far we have come.

I do have a suggestion that I think is vital for end users, and I'd love
to hear others' thoughts -- as well as suggestions for how such a thing
might be implemented.

As a user of eyes-free interfaces (Gnopernicus, Orca), I'd like NOT to
be presented with applications that aren't going to work for me. It's
particularly annoying (and confusing) to have an application on my menu
go silent when I attempt to launch it. At best, it's highly distracting.
Certainly it slows me down and prevents me from spending time where I
might expect benefit.

Is there a way to use available application data to flag apps that just
aren't going to be accessible through the AT-SPI? And, if they can be
flagged, can we then keep them off the application menu entirely? (the
Alt-F1 menu?).