Re: Speech enabling GnomePanel

Jaideep:

I would like to second what Peter said; I'd recommend looking at at-poke
and at-spi in general.

Rather than speech-enabling the panel (only), since AT-SPI provides a
command and control API for the GUI via AccessibleAction, why not plug
your Sphinx4 system into the AT-SPI interfaces?  That way, everything in
GNOME which properly implements AT-SPI interfaces will be controllable
via speech.

I think the rough outlines of what you may wish to do:

(1) track "focus:" and "window:" events via at-spi's
AccessibilityRegistry listener interface, to determine the user's
current application context;

(2) when the context changes, use AT-SPI to search the current hierarchy
for objects with SPI_ROLE_MENU, SPI_ROLE_MENUITEM, etc. or for things
that implement AccessibleAction (see cvs module GOK, gok/gok-spy.c for
examples of how to do that);

(3) use Accessible_getName to get the names/labels on the menu items or
other actionable things, and use them as the "dictionary" or
"vocabulary" of currently available commands to match against in
Sphinx4;

(4) when you recognize a match (i.e. the user has spoken the name of a
menu or menu item), use AccessibleAction_doAction() to invoke the
appropriate response from the GUI.

best regards and good luck!

- Bill