Re: [g-a-devel] gnome-speech and proprietory software synthesizers.

Hi Luke:

The current architecture was designed to allow this (preparation of separate gnome-speech packages with proprietary drivers). I am unaware of issues which prevent it, and believe that it may only require preparing the appropriate ".spec" files. Since none of the code we link directly to in gnome-speech is GPL (it's all LGPL), I don't think there is a license compatibility issue there either. However, many distros won't co-package binaries that link to proprietary code, so these packages would, as you suggest, need to be add-ons in this case.

Probably the packages should end up being something like gnome-speech-core-0.3.rpm, gnome-speech-driver-fonix-0.3.rpm, etc. etc. with one additional package per "optional" driver. These can be added at runtime with no problem, gnome-speech provides runtime recognition of new drivers.

best regards,

- Bill

Luke Yelavich wrote:
Hi all.
I have been thinking about gnome-speech, and compiling the software synthesizer drivers for proprietory synths, such as DECtalk and Cepstral. It has come to my awareness that there may be an issue to do with gnome-speech being distributed as a binary package for various distros, without the proprietory synth drivers built. If this doesn't make sense, perhaps the scenario outlined below may help to get my point across.

A blind/vision impaired user wants to install Linux on their machine. They choose a distro to their liking and want to try out Gnopernicus and GNOME. They find out that Festival is free and works with Gnopernicus. After installing the relevant Festival packages from their distro, they find that they don't like the voices.

After doing some research, they find out that they can buy a software synthesizer for Linux, which can work with Gnopernicus. So they buy it, and install it. However, they can't get it to work with Gnopernicus.

They do more research and find out that gnome-speech needs to be re-compiled in order to work with their software synthesizer. However they don't feel comfortable and/or don't want to compile from source, which makes them feel like the software synth has been a waste of money.

So with the current architecture, is it possible to package a gnome-speech package for a distro as is done now, and also have add-on packages which can be used to install drivers for proprietory synths?

Let me know if you either don't understand, or want more clarrification.

Regards
Luke