Gnopernicus Speech Volume

How does one turn up the speech volume?  I think this is a soundcard/sound hardware issue, because if I simply use "play file", it
plays very low, and the volume set via layer 8 of gnopernicus' keymap is at maximum.

I'm using redhat 9. Can't find sndconfig on the system, and I've looked through just about everything I can think of and can't find
a way to set the soundcard's output folume.  Can anyone help with this?

-- Very Confused , Rich