Re: Re: Trying out ATK / AT-SPI

Jacob:

Depending on the languages you are most comfortable with, you might look at cvs module 'orca' (python) as well. If you are planning to use C, you will probably want the 'cspi' client bindings from atk-spi/cspi/spi.h. If you are using C++ or Java, you may be more interested in the actual at-spi IDL, in at-spi/idl... cvs module java-access-bridge has example client code (for instance JNav.java) for using the at-spi interfaces from Java. Of all these, the simplest client bindings are probably the python/pyORBit ones in orca, and the Java binding (requires a 1.4 or better Java development kit, though). The C bindings are most widely used (for instance by gnopernicus and GOK, and I believe dasher, which is actually a C++ app). Since the 'normative' C bindings for CORBA are rather ugly, at-spi provides the cspi bindings as an alternative.

I state this to help clarify the purpose of the different sub-parts within at-spi, and point you in the best direction for your preferred development environment.

Note also that python and C work nicely together, see orca for an example of how to mix them.

- Bill

Padraig said:
Jacob,

It sounds like you want to write what we would an Assisteive Technology program; other examples are gok, gnopernicus and dasher.
Will do and have done that. I´ll start pooring through the source over the next couple of days.

Thank you,

Jacob

Padraig

Jacob Uhrenholt wrote:

Hey all,

I'm new to the gnome accessibility concept, but from what I can read
this could very well be what I need. Before I delve head-on into this
however, I'd like to run this by everyone here to get a
bearing on whether or not I'm on the right track.

I need to be able to control a gnome app using a remote control
(i.e. using the up/down, left/right buttons to signal my app - cycling
through widgets for instance). Using an onscreen keyboard or an
alternate interaction app like gok directly is not an option - only my
own application may be visible. As I said, I think this can be
accomplished (gok can, so I should be able to do it as well :D), but
I'd like a second oppinion.

With that said: I've been looking about the net for some in-depth
information about ATK and AT-SPI, but have yet to strike gold so to
speak (well, except these nice folk -
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/). I'm specifically looking for
manuals and working examples. I'd appreciate any pointers you might have.

Cheers,

Jacob