trying orca?

Hi all
	Well, I remembered hearing about orca on this list a little
while ago, and decided to give it a try. I got it out of CVS, it
compiled and installed fine. I ran orca-setup as instructed, chose
dectalk as my synth, and told it to use key echo. I then went into gnome
and tried to start orca. However, here's what I get on my X status
console:
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
Atk Accessibilty bridge initialized
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/orca", line 45, in ?
    orca.init ()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 138, in
init
    brl.init ()
SystemError: error return without exception set
	What's going on? I don't have braille turned on, and I don't
have brltty installed. Do I need it even when I don't have a display?
This is Fedora Core 2 with gnome 2.6, python 2.3.3 that is shipped with
the distro.
	Anyone know what's going on here?