Re: still a little more trouble with autogen.sh here

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 08:30, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 02:47, Scott Berry wrote:
> > Hi there list,
> > I have ran autogen.sh and am now using the correct gnome-common.  However,
> > I am getting some warnings while the autogen.sh goes in to the
> > "/configure" procedure.  I am supposing maybe I am missing another package
> > here but not sure any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone
> > for being patient with me as this is my first time using this type of a
> > compiler script.
>
> Nice to see you are making progress. :-)
>
> None of the warnings you see are going to prevent you from building the
> package. Most of them are completely harmless. The ones about using
> LDFLAGS instead of AM_LDFLAGS should be fixed at some point, since they
> can cause real problems, but they are not going to affect somebody like
> you doing a reasonably normal build.

Just a small correction on this so that the archives contain accurate
information. It turns out that the warnings about LDFLAGS being used
instead of AM_LDFLAGS is indeed fatal and things will no longer build.
The reason for those warnings is that automake-1.4 was not being used
(which gnome-speech requires).

After some back and forth, Scott and I worked out that the reason he was
seeing those warnings is because he was using an version of gnome-common
from Debian unstable that contains a bug. Upgrading this package fixed
the problem.

Debian users: make sure you are using gnome-common-2.4.0-1 or
gnome-common-2.4.0-2. The package gnome-common-2.4.0-0.1 will only lead
to heartache and disappointment.

Malcolm