java/java access bridge issues with fc3

Hello,
    I've got an fc3 box, updated with the latest packages via yum. I've got
gnopernicus installed and am trying to get java and the java access bridge
going. My ultimate goal is mozilla, openoffice, and java-enabled apps, i am
new to x, but not new to a graphical user interface using ms-windows, and
have many years experience with sysadmin on both Linux and *bsd platformS.
    In x, i load gnopernicus, go to accessibility preferences and load
gnopernicus on startup. I downloaded the sun java linux rpm and installed
it. The filename is:
jdk-1.5.0-fcs
In /etc/profile i added this line:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/jdk-1.5.0/bin
    resourced the file to reload the settings.
I then installed the java access bridge:
cd /usr/local/src/java-access-bridge-1.4.2
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
i did not have any issue with this install. In gnopernicus if i load
gnome-terminal go to
/usr/java/jdk-1.5.0/demos/demos/jfc/Notepad
then do
java -jar Notepad.jar
I'm getting the below error.

libgcj-java-placeholder.sh

This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java
master link required by jpackage.org conventions.  libgcj's
rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these
masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.

This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools
installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with symlinks
installed by jpackage.org JVM packages.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: while resolving
class: Notepad
   at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Class)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String, boolean,
java.lang.ClassLoader) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at gnu.gcj.runtime.FirstThread.run() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_ThreadRun(java.lang.Thread) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_RunMain(java.lang.Class, byte const, int, byte const, boolean)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at __libc_start_main (/lib/tls/libc-2.3.3.so)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.lang.StringBuilder not
found in [file:Notepad.jar, core:/]
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at gnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String, boolean)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_FindClass(_Jv_Utf8Const, java.lang.ClassLoader)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String, boolean,
java.lang.ClassLoader) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_BytecodeVerifier.verify_instructions_0()
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_VerifyMethod(_Jv_InterpMethod) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_PrepareClass(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_WaitForState(java.lang.Class, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.VMClassLoader.linkClass0(java.lang.Class)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Class)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   ...7 more

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.