Gnopernicus Can't Open Brltty

Hello,

I've been trying  for weeks to find out why Gnopernicus can't open Brltty.
I have an /etc/brlapi.key file which is readable by everyone. Brltty
3.13.1 was
compiled with brlapi. The message from SRCORE simply says "Braille device
initialiaztion failed for brltty on port 1." I'm using garnome-0.27.1.
Could it be that Gnopernicus was compiled without brltty support? How
would I test for this? I don't have sighted help, and I need braille to do
anything with Gnome, since I am deaf.

Thanks,
John

--