Re: Can't find the library . . .

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 00:58, Nolan J. Darilek wrote:
> I've been attempting to build the latest CVS gnopernicus, as I've
> upgraded and downgraded numerous debian packages and my old compile no
> longer works. I'm receiving the following error, though, and was
> hoping someone could suggest something:
>
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o test  test.o ../libsrconf/libsrconf.la ../../srutil/libsrutil.la -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -L/usr/local/stow/atk/lib -L/usr/local/stow/at-spi/lib -lgconf-2 -lcspi -lspi -lbonobo-2 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lbonobo-activation -lORBit-2 -lgthread-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0   -lpopt
> mkdir .libs
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `'
> make[3]: *** [test] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/nolan/src/cvs/gnome/gnopernicus/srconf/test'
>
> Any ideas what might be causing this? More importantly, which library
> can't be found?

I admit, I was really struggling (read "failing completely") to solve
this one in a way that worked for everybody. Fortunately, the Debian
developers have saved us all.

For those using Debian Sid, there will be a new libtool package going
into the repository very shortly (it may even be there already). This is
libtool-1.5-5. The new version reverts the patch that causes this
problem and means that everything should work again. So do the apt
voodoo to grab the new package and things should start working again.

Essentially, the Debian package was fixing a bug. But it was doing so in
an incompatible way that was causing too many problems with "real world"
packages. So they have backed off until the patch makes it into the
upstream version of libtool (verison 1.6).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled build problems.

Cheers,
Malcolm