Re: Can't find the library . . .

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 22:32, Mario Lang wrote:
> Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 11:44, Mario Lang wrote:
[...]
> >> I am seeing the same problem since an apt-get upgrade of sid on Friday
> >> last week.
> >
> > OK, so did libtool get upgraded as part of that upgrade?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so, what version are you trying to run.
>
> 1.5-4 is current in Debian.
>
> > If there are compatibility problems with libtool again then (a) I am
> > disappointingly unsurprised, (b) it's extremely annoying, and (c) we
> > really need to fix or everything is going to explode.
> >
> > Gnopernicus does nothing special at all w.r.t libtool, so if it is
> > broken for current Sid users then half of GNOME is going to be broken.
>
> I am a bit confused why the locally installed libtool version does matter at
> all.  I am getting the impression that the libtool script used by
> Gnopernicus is actually generated from ltmain.sh, also in Gnopernicus source
> tree. Why is a change of the locally installed libtool version able to affect
> the Gnopernicus build process at all? (Note that I am a complete libtool
> idiot, so this question might be mightily silly).

This is why I was emphasising that it is important to start debugging
this from a completely clean checkout. There is no ltmain.sh in the
gnopernicus CVS tree. The autogen.sh script generates a link to your
system's ltmain.sh by running libtoolize.

Shipped tarballs include the various libtool scripts, but (GNOME) CVS
modules do not.

Thanks for the other information. I am also collecting some data via the
desktop-devel list, so we shall see what develops over the next 24
hours.

Cheers,
Malcolm