Sound Support

What sound support are people using in Linux. I installed redHat 9, and the
command-line programs like play won't work. Sox doesn't like any audio
device file I try.  Do I need to install some extra kernel modules? I've
seen something called esd (Enlightened Sound Daemon). Is this
helpful/useful?  What is this ALSA I keep hearing of?  In short, what is the
best/easiest way to get audio support working in RedHat-9 Linux?

Thanx in advance...

                    Rich