Re: Viavoice on Fedora

Greetings,

> >Has anyone got Viavoice TTS 5 working with Fedora?  I don't really find
> >Festival useable enough.
>
> The xvoice project also uses ViaVoice. We've had real trouble with running
> it on RH 8 and later, but people have gotten it working. For information
> on what they had to do, see the xvoice faq:
>
>  http://xvoice.sourceforge.net/faq.html

Please note that unless things have recently changed, IBM has not formally
released ViaVoice for Linux.  The version that is floating around has a
number of significant known bugs.  Particularly when used with Gnopernicus,
users report that their system will occasionally lock up, especially when
generating a lot of speech.  This is a known problem with this version of
ViaVoice, and you should be prepared for it.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team