Where is the audio device specified?

Hi

I'm not getting sound when I run gnome on my Debian Sid system.  I've
done a apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade this evening.  These
actions haven't caused the loss of sound but I've not had a chance to
deal with it.  I guess that I'd hoped that an upgrade would resolve the
situation.

Alsa drivers are successfully installed as I can play audio and use the
speakfreely speakup reflecter.

A friend told me when they first run startx and used their gnome session
for the first time, a dialog box appeared stating that gnome couldn't
find the /dev/mixer/audio device.

I've been looking through logs and config scripts but can't find where
the system is looking for the /dev/mixer/audio/ device.  Does anyone
have any ideas where I can point it to the correct device /dev/audio or
is it /dev/mixer, as I have both?

Gena

Using the freedom of Debian GNU Linux