Installing Gnome on Redhat 7.1 - is it possible

I think it came with Gnome 1.4 or something. I tried garnome and looked at
CVS, but so many things need to be updated and I just don't know that much
about linux... Is this a hopeless task? The reason I'm not doing something
more sane, like updating to Redhat 8 or 9 first is that:
1. I've got stuff running on the machine which I don't want to chance on
breaking
2. Can't do without sighted assistance, cuz I don't have speakup or
anything - I login from windows and use it remotely

Got any suggestions?

Thanx so much in advance...

                    Rich