I didn't think you could crash Linux like that!

Well, I was doing some more playing with Gnopernicus, and when I was done,
I tried to log out the proper way by selecting "log out" from Gnome and
then pressing the "OK" button.  Well, my system locked up.  I couldn't
switch consoles, reboot, or even use control-alt-backspace to get out.
All this time, the argument I heard in favor of X is that since it is
separate from the rest of Linux, one can always get back to the command
prompt if it dies.  Well, not in this case.  I checked the logs after
doing a power-off reboot, and there were no error messages.  The last
thing was this.
May 23 16:43:55 homerun gconfd (amyrow-728): Received signal 1, shutting
down cleanly
May 23 16:44:07 homerun gconfd (amyrow-728): Exiting
So, any ideas?  I could hear occasional hard drive activity, so I am
thinking that if I had something on the serial port, I could have possibly
logged in and been able to do a shut down.  I guess I should get my Type
-N Speak out and plug it in as a dumb terminal on the serial port and see
if it works next time.