Re: Progress With Braille output!

"John J. Boyer" <director chpi org> writes:

> Jason,
>
> Thanks for the new info.  i'm trying to figure out how to write a driver
> for a new braille device. I would like to see support for my braille lite
> and an interface with brltty, which has drivers for almost everything and
> a grade 2 translator.

I guess you already know about the brltty brlapi?
If anyone is working on integrating that with Gnopernicus, I'd be
happy to hear from you.  There will be many requests like "My display is not
supported by Gnopernicus", as soon as more people get to know about
it.  Having a interface to brltty's brlapi would solve those
kind of problems once and for all, since brltty already has drivers for
about 12 different models IIRC.  Another advantage of using
brlapi would be that there are no collision of two screen readers trying
to use the same serial port, since brlapi (from what I can gather reading the code)
lets a client register for a specific tty.  So Gnopernicus
would register for the tty where X is running, and that would allow
for the usually terminal switching without the need to stop or start
any screen readers explicitly.

--
CYa,