gnome-control-center accessible?

Hi
I've just tried to access the gnome-control-center on my redhat 9.0 box.
What I here, on the first item is:
table line preferences
arrow down and I hear: table line more preferences
OK, that seems fine. When I tab over to the list of items, all I get are the
words "layered pain." Arrowing around reads nothing. I can tell its working,
as I can arrow around and hit enter and the respective dialogs pop up. The
dialogs read fine, it's just the list. Anyone know how to fix this?