Re: Problems compiling gnome-mag

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 10:03:43AM -0700, Don Raikes wrote:
> I just completed installing gnome 2.2 via garnome.
> It was a painful process, but it seems to have worked.
>
> I checked out gnome-mag from cvs, and ran autogen.sh without a problem
> (after the third try).
>
> Now when I run make, I get the following log.

This looks like you do not have a working sed program on your system or
that your libtool setup is somehow broken.

I just built gnome-mag from scratch and it worked without too many
problems (in fact, it is possibly the accessibility module with the
lowest number of spurious build warnings -- I'm going to have to put on
my build-fixer hat later and beat some of the others into shape, I
think).

What distribution are you building on? And what version of libtool do
you have installed (libtool --version will tell you)?

Also, have a look in the libtool script that should now be in your
gnome-mag source directory. Just after the initial comment block, there
should be a couple of lines that look something like this:

   # A sed that does not truncate output.
   SED="/bin/sed"

   # Sed that helps us avoid accidentally triggering echo(1) options like -n.
   Xsed="/bin/sed -e s/^X//"

(I have indented them only for readability). Do you have those? Do you
have a file called /bin/sed?

Sorry -- more questions that answers here, but you have stumbled into
the sort of problem that is very rare and sometimes very hard to work
out. So if you can answer my questions, then I or somebody else on this
list might be able to help you move forwards.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."