Re: mp3 players with x windows?

Hi Jacob:

The short answer is, gtk-1.2-based apps aren't going to be accessible
until they are ported, and non-gtk+-based X apps can't be made to work
with gnopernicus/gnome-accessibility without a large-scale effort to
retrofit accessibility support (either ATK or something equivalent) onto
their respective toolkits.

Given a particular toolkit, for instance Motif, it should be possible to
implement ATK (or at-spi) on the underlying toolkit, and thus provide a
path for application accessibility.  However it's not worth the effort
required for one-off application accessibility work - unless someone is
really desperate or the application is really a whole productivity suite
in itself (as was the case with StarOffice/OpenOffice.org, which
implemented its own internal accessibility APIs and bridged them to Java
and GNOME).  In 95% of the cases I'd say it would be easier to port the
application in question to GTK+-2 or Java/Swing.  There is a project
under discussion which would add this kind of accessibility support to
KDE and integrate it with the 'GNOME' accessibility work, but it's not a
small task.

regards,

Bill