Re: Accessibility of Gnome panel / How to end session via keyboard

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 17:18, John Zitterkopf wrote:

> > Press alt-f1 to open the main menu.  This seems to work no
> > matter where
> > you night be. Control-alt-tab doesn't always work and you could end up
> > jumping off the pannel instead of going to it.

If you can't cycle to the panel this way please log a bug.  There is no
guarantee that the panel you want is the first thing in the focus chain,
but it should indeed be in the focus chain.  There is a bug regarding
the accessibility of the notification which users get whilst navigating,
but if you use the sequence Alt-Tab (release alt), Alt-Tab (release Alt
again), you should get notifications.

> > Press up arrow once to select the logout button
> > Press enter to activate the menu option.
> > Press shift-tab to select ok in the log out dialog.
>
> I already use this method; but find that is isn't 100% reliable.
>
> I haven't figured out what causes it; but sometimes "applications" isn't
> selected. Sometimes one of the other menu items is selected. If "Applications"
> isn't selected; the "logout" isn't selected.

> If we look at Microshaft's implementation... you can do the following:
> <CTRL><ESC> (brings up start menu)
> S <selects Shutdown>
> U <selects Shutdown> or R <selects Reboot>
> <ENTER> (confirms selection)
>
> Ideally, I'd like to see Gnome do simular things:
> <ALT><F1> (brings up foot menu>
> L <selects Log Off>
> etc.
>
> IF I wanted to hack in this capability; where in the source code would I look?
Look in gnome-panel/menu.c.  I think just inserting underscores in
front of the characters you want to make shortcuts, in the menu item labels,
may do the trick.  I am checking now (but have to rebuild things first).

- Bill