Trying to get Gnopernicus to work but it won't.

Good day to you all.  I am trying to get Gnopernicus to work and am having the following problems.
When I tri to start it the Gnome desktop comes up and is usable by my sighted associates but it doesn't speek.
While it is up I can start the speech from another console however all it says is welcome to Gnopernicus and when I return to the gnome console I can't tab around or anything.  Now, I am a beginner in the world of Linux and am not familiar with much.  Im' a Windows guy.  Can anyone help either by giving me instructions on what I could be doing wrong? I am running redhat 9 and also have speakup installed.
Thanks.