Re: DECtalk driver and french language

Hi:

Please see my previous reply.  We have #1 and #2 below in GNOME, to some
extent.  Individual elements don't need locales in GNOME (though in the
case of PangoLayouts we do have similar info which we expose in <lang>
tags), since locales are set on a per-application basis.

So we do indeed have #1 and #2 but they are relatively
untested/unexercised.  There is certainly no reason for gnopernicus to
wait before recognizing and acting on <lang> tags, as long as they do it
in consultation with our internationalization folks.

I am cc'ing michael.twomey who is helping out in this area.  We need to
make sure that we are indeed seeing the <lang> tags as we expect in
at-spi AccessibleText via pango (logging pango bugs if not), and create
a couple of test cases, but the basic mechanisms are there.

Detecting per-application LANG/locale is something we know how to do now
but which will require a small api addition to AccessibleApplication.
However, per-locale applications are a very rare use case in GNOME (in
fact there is no way for a non-command-line-shell user to accomplish
this), much more common are partially or incompletely-localized
applications.    Unfortunately POSIX gettext provides no means for
knowing whether strings have been correctly localized or are just
fallbacks to the C locale, so in order for this to work correctly
applications must be thoroughly localized.  Well-localized applications
should work well with this framework since the only out-of-locale text
should be content which is explicitly marked with <lang> tags.

best regards,

Bill