Subject: Re: accessibility for low vision
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:20:34 +0100
From: Dirk Schouten <schoutdi knoware nl>
To: Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM>

At 14:07 15-12-03 +0000, you wrote:
>Dirk Schouten wrote:
>
>>Esteemed Mr. Haneman,
>>Bein visually impaired and Linux user (servers), I hope addressing you will
>>make me also use a  GUI desktop in the future.
>>My main problems with a LINUX GUI are:
>>- The lack of big cursors
>>- The lack of mouse software.
>>
>>When GNOME is interested in hearing my/our  specific needs, I will be happy
>>to elaborate on the above mentioned items.
>>Kind regards,
>>Dirk
>>
>Hi Dirk:
>
>I'd be very interested in your needs.  Perhaps you could re-send this
>message, or give me permission to forward it to
>'gnome-accessibility-devel gnome org', so that the discussion can be public.
>
>The 'big cursors' issue has to do with limitations in the underlying
>XServer system.  There are some APIs on the way that I believe will help
>address this issue.
>
>Also, if you have two frame buffers you can get a much-enlarged cursor
>using 'gnome-mag' and gnopernicus.  The performance is a bit sluggish
>but it may be enough for your immediate needs.
>
>But I'd like to hear more about the 'mouse software' which would be
>useful to you.  Can you elaborate?
>
>thanks and best regards,
>
>Bill

Hello Bill,
Thanks for the quick reply. I will write it down in a way that it's wider
usable.
You have permission to copy, cc, etc.
Kind regards,
Dirk
Visually impaired and the Linux desktop.
The visually impaired face a lot of problems when trying to use a 'smooth'
desktop.
Smooth is difficult to define because there are so many eye deficiencies.
Still, a lot of visually impaired and elderly people woudl be greatly
helped when a few problems would be solved. And there are many.

Some general GUI problems:
- good quality fonts that are/stay sharp when enlarged
- big icons for the desktop
- Every entry in a program should have adjustable font size (menubar, drop
down menu's, popupwindows, button characters)
- Programs should use the complete desktop. A 'nice' example are the mail
programs. There is not one Linux mail program that can do without a
'mailboxes' window like Eudora can. Eudora has a 'Mailbox' entry in the
menubar. When clicking on it, the 'Mailboxes' dropdown menu opens and you
see all your mailboxes. Point with your mouse and the mailbox opens _full
screen_.
In that way the whole surface of the desktop is usable for reading mail and
reading folders.
Personally speaking, this is one of the reasons I have to stay with Windows.

Special problems in the GUI environment are the mouse pointers and cursors:
- They are much too small.
- There is only one (Debian) package with a badly designed big mouse and
cursor.
- There is not a variety in mouse pointers, cursors, hourglasses etc. that
can fit one's need.

- There is no mouse software that can:
	- make long mouse trails
	- get the mouse pointer in one position on the screen
	where you can always find it (one of the corners, or the middle of the
screen).
	- get the mouse pointer standard on 'yes' or 'no' (saves searching)
	- make the cursor blink (to attract attention)

	A clone of an old version of 'Toggle' http://www.toggle.com would be useful.

Hope this is useful to you. Looking forward to ....
Kind regards,
Dirk

Dirk Schouten

Our OSS/GPL primary school CMS Site School:
http://siteatschool.sourceforge.net

Tools for teachers:
http://wyxs.net
Media Action Projects: