alt-tab doesn't work

Hi all
I've got a slight problem with my gnome-2.3 installation. This just surfaced today, I'm not sure what caused it. Anyway, any of the task or panel switching
keystrokes don't work(alt-tab, ctrl-alt-tab, alt-esc, etc). When I press them the window title appears on the screen, but it isn't spoken, perfectly normal behavior.
However, when I find the one I want and release the alt key... nothing. The window name remains there, but nothing happens. As soon as I press another key,
the window name disappears and I'm dropped back into the window I was at before I started using the task switching keys. I've managed to trace the problem
down the the window manager, metacity. Other window managers, like sawfish, don't exhibit this problem. However, they do have other accessibility problems of
their own and don't work as well. I've tried completely removing and reinstalling metacity, to no effect.

Anyone know how I can get my switching keys back?