Re: ANNOUNCE: GNOME Speech API (GSAPI) - v0.6.0

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:15:54AM -0700, Rich Burridge wrote:

> Hi Havoc,
>
> > Why is this done in IDL? Are you expecting to use it out-of-process?
>
> Because the initial version of GNOME Speech (v0.2.x) use a client/server
> model (Bonobo/ORBit2). I've tried to abstract v0.6.0 so that if/when an
> alternative comes along, then it will require minimal changes to the API.

When you say "an alternative" you mean an alternative to what?

Basically the IDL interface is going to be too hard to use from C
without a C library wrapper. The extra lib dependencies for all of
Bonobo will also limit your audience and limit our future flexibility.
In short if your goal is wide usage in lots of apps I would go with
something simpler.

Havoc