-----Original Message-----
From: billh ireserver Ireland Sun COM
[mailto:billh ireserver Ireland Sun COM]On Behalf Of Bill Haneman
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 5:48 PM
To: Ravinandan Arakali
Cc: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
Subject: Re: calculator clarification

Ravinandan Arakali wrote:

> Hi,
> I was looking at the changes made recently to gcalc application
> to make it accessible, where the GtkDrawingArea was replaced by
> GtkEntry and tooltips were provided for buttons.
> I have a question regarding this.
> Was there a specific reason not to provide tooltips for the buttons
> representing the numbers 0 to 9 and the math symbol "e" ? Is it
> necessary to provide tooltips for these too, such as "Seven" for the digit
> 7.

Hi Ravinandan:

I expect that tooltips on 0-9 would add little of use from an
accessibility point of view, since the labels are already exported via
the default implementation of atk_object_get_name () for buttons.  The
'e' button probably could benefit from a tooltip, if only something like
"e (base of natural logarithm)".

[Padraig: correct nomenclature? ;-)]

The tooltips are exposed via accessibility interfaces as
atk_object_get_description ().  If the tooltip were not necessary for
normal use the same end result (from an accessibility standpoint) could
be accomplished by explicitly setting the accessible name/description of
such buttons inside the calculator code:

   atkobject = gtk_widget_get_accessible (e_button);
   atk_object_set_accessible_name (atkobject, "base e");
   atk_object_set_accessible_description (atkobject, "base of natural
logarithms");

My opinion is that just setting the tooltip for 'e' and other non-digit
buttons will be sufficient.

Best regards,

-Bill

> Thanks,
> Ravinandan

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin wipro com and delete this mail
from your records.