Re: [Usability] Familiarity, Accessibility, and Survival of the Fittest

<quote who="Gregory Merchan">

> An alternative not mentioned on the list thusfar is to provide a menubar
> for these instant-apply interfaces. It could be a very simple menubar
> with just three menus:
>  a first menu (appropriately named) to provide commands like those found
>    on a File menu. These I imagine would be Save, Revert, and Close.
>  an Edit menu to provide apparent access to Undo, Cut, Copy, and Paste.
>    There is otherwise only a right-click menu or keyboard shortcuts to those
>    commands and both those methods are 'hidden'.
>  a Help menu for the obvious purpose.
>
> This might seem odd, but all the parts are familiar and accessible.

... hideous on any system without a global menubar, painfully
straightforward on systems with. I think this would require going back to an
old style (oddly, Mac OS X style) gnomecc, rather than the new, Windows /
Mac OS =< 9 style.

Some examples of instant apply windows with menus would help!

- Jeff

--
     "I think a lot of the basis of the open source movement comes from
                procrastinating students." - Andrew Tridgell