Re: [Usability] Re: Control-center styles

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:03:50AM -0600, Gregory Merchan wrote:
>   For Close, Alt+F4 is proposed since users of CUA-based environments
> such as Windows and CDE are more likely to be familiar with this. If
> the MDI faction will surrender to better window management and the
> emacs faction will surrender Control+W, then Control+W should be
> adopted because it requires a lesser span of the keyboard, does not
> use the function keys which could then be reserved for user defined
> functions; modulo F1 (help) and F10 (menu), and these may also pass
> in time.

Not just emacs users.  Control-W is also very common and very useful in vim
(for a long time I didn't know this meant delete word, I thought it was just
for switching and managing windows in vim).  Most Control-something will
clash with some terminal applications, whereas Alt-something won't.  Also
lots of command line users would be quite peeved as well if we take
Control-W.

I think in general, if we have viewports, those should not be bound on Alt-F?
since that can confuse some new users coming from windows or some such, seems
like just Alt-number works well.  We seem to not be using the function key
row much anyway.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.